Saturday, May 31, 2008

Quotidian Grace Tagged Me!

Toby Brown at Classical Presbyterian created a Start of Summer meme and tagged Quotidian Grace who tagged me. Looks like fun, so here goes:


1.) What first tells you that Summer is here?
Increased heat, humidity and the smell of sun screen.

2.) Name your five of your favorite distinctively Summer habits or customs.
***eating snow cones
***grilling
***enjoying the children being out of school
***working in the yard pruning, weeding and planting
***wearing linen clothes and sandals


3.) What is your favorite smell of Summer?
Blooming magnolias and gardenias, warm salt air, grilling


4.) What is your favorite taste of Summer?
Homemade cooked custard fresh peach ice cream, good red yard tomatoes


5.) Favorite Summer memory?
As a child, going to swimming lessons in cold water, eating ice cream cones.
As an adult, going camping with friends, going to summer camp as a counselor.
As a parent, vacations and sitting outside on the back porch, under the ceiling fans with Mr. C.

6.) Extreme heat or extreme cold? Which would you choose and why?
Please! I want better choices than these!
My favorite weather is cool mornings with warm mid-days then cool again at night.
Like at Montreat in the N.C. mountains in summertime.


7.) What books do you plan to read for the season?

Greg Illes newest book
The next Alexander McCall Smith No.1 Ladies Detective Agency book in that series.
His next Isabelle Dalohousy book and if he has another new 44 Scotland Street book, I want to read that.
Jesus for President
Finish the "working" stack of books next to my bed.

8.) How does the Summer affect your faith? Is it a hindrance or an ally?
Hurricane season is emotional for me. I'm just now seeing things look better after Katrina, almost three years ago. We've got folks in FEMA trailers still, business are struggling to get going again and our landscape is so very different. In the past, I got through hurricane season with Oreos and Cheetos. Now, I know what horror storms bring. I'll be leaning on God again this year for strength and hope.

Thanks, QG!


If anyone else wants to play, tag yourself.

Love,
St. Casserole

9 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

Good play! Thanks, St. C. I too am waiting for the next Alexander McCall Smith books in the No.l Ladies Detective Agency and 44 Scotland series(es?).

LOVE Precious Ramotswe! Long live "traditionally built women"!!

Lori said...

Ahhhhh, blooming magnolias and gardenias.....heaven.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Tell me more about the ice cream!!

Mark Smith said...

Thanks for putting me at ease about my summer trip.

I'm headed with the youth to Montreat the end of July. I had been worried about being comfortable - I'm NOT a warm weather person.

Thanks for reassuring me that I'll be able to sleep.

1-4 Grace said...

You make me so want to go to Montreat. Love that place!
I am with you on Hurricanes, I still have such heartache from what we saw here.
I love the yard tomatoes too!
In regrds to garage sales, etc...
You really need to come to the Circle City and go to the Humane Society Thrift Store.
Can't even begin to tell you the treasures I find there. I am considering a lighthouse framed piece. If it is there tomorrow I get it.
I can't argue prices with them, as i look at it as a donation to help cats and dogs...sometimes higher, but hey good cause.
Oh, I got soem fabu-Loos-Oh yarn from Ireland there. (1.50 a skein)!
Yay, you need to do a road trip here.

Deb said...

YUM Peach ice cream??? I'll bring my peach salsa and we can put it on top! :)

D

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Mmmmm...tomatoes. We will have them ripe here sometime in ...oh maybe August. Sigh.

Thinking of you a lot, for some reason, so continuing to pray.

Joan Calvin said...

You have to see this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ibPk37_U

I'm sorry I can never get the links and tags to work.

Diane M. Roth said...

the jesus for president one should be on my list, too.

great play!

p.s. fun meeting you at the festival.