Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Reading

My Presbyterian Outlook subscription expired sometime in 2009.

I can't recall exactly when. I have a pile of subscription notices asking me to renew. Each notice was placed in my "get to sometime" stack in my filing system without engendering any desire to write a check for another year. Sorry, but the Outlook's lifeless black and white covers of odd pictures, along with editorials I found tiresome, never-used International Bible Study lessons and a back page of pastoral ending and beginnings of people I don't know just wore me out.

My first subscription to the Outlook began as a freebie for seminarians. In the late 70's I was interested in the magazine. Over the years, and especially in the last five or so years, I read fewer articles. I began throwing away copies after glancing through the pages. I should have known what this meant.

Loving magazines is part of my DNA. Throwing away copies is not a good sign. As the child of a father who kept stacks of Life, Saturday Evening Post and National Geographic on bookcases in his workshop, I value the printed page. National Geographic's from the 1920's survived past his death in the 1980's and were thrown out, mostly intact in the mid-1990's when my parent's home was sold.

All magazines are troubled these days. I'm sorry about the hard times of magazine publishing. I doubt many will return when the economy improves because we've learned to get our content from the internet. I think I kept up my subscription to the Outlook because I want places for people to start conversations and discuss ideas about the Church. The Christian Century fits my needs in this arena.

But, I feel odd about putting an old friend out to pasture.

Yours,
St. Casserole

4 comments:

Teri said...

we also let ours lapse on purpose. I couldn't take one more black and white cover showing an elderly white man, while the articles inside were also clearly targeted for the same. I am hopeful about the future of the church, and the future of publishing (Have you checked out Generate Magazine yet?)...but the outlook of the Outlook is bleak...

KnittinPreacher said...

I have a stack that are yet to be read. Occasionally, I find a gem or 2, but not enough to entice me to renew. Maybe I'll look at Christian Century. I have not heard of Generate.

Jennifer said...

Couldn't agree more! I realy like Christian Century and am off to explore Generate. Thanks, Teri!

1-4 Grace said...

I like Xian Century too and do not get teh Outlook now either.
I also get Presby. Today as it has good stories and interesting stuff.
But really like CC and enjoy the lectionary stiff they do.
:)