Thursday, June 09, 2011

Iced Tea

Drinking tea over ice is a Southern tradition. Adding teaspoon after teaspoon of sugar to the cold tea is another Southern habit.
I made a glass of fake tea yesterday, some form of peach-flavored tea with enough artificial additives to make me glow in the dark. I grabbed an iced tea spoon to stir the mixture around and around the glass amazed at how much noise I made.
Then I became homesick for my Grandmother, long dead,she could whip a sterling silver iced tea spoon around a glass so loudly all table conversation stopped. Papa told me, "Don't make noise when you stir your tea."
In her honor, when I am alone, I intend to rattle a sterling iced tea spoon with great vigor and noise this Summer.

Iced Tea
2-3 family sized tea bags of Community Tea
enough boiling water to keep the tea dark, if you like strong tea flavor
Simple syrup of boiling water and cane sugar, mixed until blended
ice
tall glass
iced tea spoon
*Mint sprig from your herb garden, if possible

Love, St.Casserole

5 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

you go! rattle that spoon!
do you ever make "sun tea" (when it's just too darn hot even to put the kettle on)?

Mary Beth said...

It makes me happy to read you today. And iced tea makes me happier than anything, especially with a lil sprig of mint...

:)

zorra said...

I love this.
However, being too thirsty at Camp Castalian Springs, after a morning of canoeing or riding or whatever, to wait for the sugar to go around the table got me started drinking NON-sweet tea at an early age.

Sue said...

Yay for iced tea!

Reminds of an old dinner grace my Newfoundland relatives usded to say:

"As you blessed the loaves and fishes, bless the food upon our dishes. And like the sugar in our tea, may our spirits Lord, be stirred by Thee." :)

Jennifer said...

Every time you post, I am glad.