Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nightmares! I've got them!

I'm feeling good, eating well, plowing through the Fall/Winter garden work.

The past two nights kept me waking up with miserable nightmares.

I'm listening to the audio unabridged POISONWOOD BIBLE in my car. I'm on disc 9 of 13 so far.

I resisted reading the book ten years ago but when a CD set showed up at a garage sale for $2, I grabbed it. Keeping a novel going while I drive costs buckage so deals appeal to me.

I find the story painful and difficult to tolerate. The image of Rev.Price oblivious to his wife and daughters struggling in the 1960's Congo makes me feel trapped.

Please, no spoilers.

Let me fight through the story and Lord, Have Mercy, may the nightmares stop.


Plucky but not so cheerful,

St.Casserole

6 comments:

1-4 Grace said...

No spoliers here. I read it sometime ago. No nightmares, but scary resemblance to some missionaries I knew. Also reminds me of movie (with Kathy Bates)I think it was called Playing in the Fields of the Gods.
Might I suggest something happier for the next book on tape or something happy to read?
Dewey is a deligthful and funny book, but tear jerker for any cat lover.
Between, GA is just plain sweet.
Pontoon is a riot...I mena rolling in the floor laughing.
One day i am gonna write a book about my experiences. I will use a pen name, but I will e-mail it to you. it will be funny

Unknown said...

A young lady in Starbucks told me (and really was telling the workers, who she apparently knew) that EVERYONE is having wild dreams the past few nights. So you are in very good company.

Jody Harrington said...

I know what you mean. I started, but couldn't finish this book. Ugh. Hated it.

Lori said...

Never read the book, so no spoilers.

I will say that with such dreaming you would probably write some amazing things right now. Works for me!

Mary Beth said...

It is a great book, but not one I would want to listen to for my first read...when reading, one has more control over when to turn away.

Take care.

Joan Calvin said...

But it felt so much like home to me! The father was always right, and your reality was nonreality. So very southern Presbyterian. And the father is so oblivious. It's my favorite Kingsolver and I don't think I'd read it again. (Bearing in mind I'm home from surgery and not in a great mood.)