Sunday, May 01, 2005

Note to Self

When I preach I will never use sheep illustrations until I have spoken with a sheep farmer. I will not use a shepherd's crook to explain leadership, either.

I will not pronounce Greek place words with a Southern accent until I have both looked up the Greek text twice to check the word and spoken with an contemporary educated Greek person to check how they pronounce it.

I will not ask children during the children's time a question until I have considered every possible answer that might be given to the delight of the congregation.

6 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

Hmmm... I'm dying of curoisity now....

reverendmother said...

Wow. Every possible answer?

Doesn't seem possible, given the unexpected creativity of children.

But, your note to self is a good one!

Rev. Mike said...

Fortunately, I have a Greek colleague at the plant should I need consultation. As for the kids, I quit "preparing" for the children's time, I usually don't, at least not beyond a general idea I'm toying with. I've only had that go wrong on me once, in much the same way you seem to describe. Always remind yourself that it's THEIR time, and if you mess it up, only the parents will be offended. So what else is new?

Unknown said...

A few years ago I attended an Episcopal Deacon's ordination. I was sitting at the back of the cathedral and saw all the clergy lining up in the adjoining chapel. I was deeply impressed with(even envious of) the bishop's regalia, especially her crook. She is a short woman, like me, and she looked fabulous. That is, until she started poking people with it just for fun and fell from grace in my eyes.

Jan said...

I'm with you all the way on your first two point. As for your third and final one - give it up! It simply is not possible to fully prepare yourself for a children's sermon, much less anticipate all the potential responses. They cute little things will outwit you every time!

Jan said...

Oops - sorry for the sloppy comment! I know to proofread before hitting the post button - just got in a hurry!