Friday, January 20, 2006



Sometime after Katrina, Biloxi Mayor A. J. Holloway got a visit from singer songwriter Paul Simon. Mayor Holloway is pictured on the left. The Mayor has served a number of terms in Biloxi and is known for his candor and energy. Never rude or careless with his remarks, the Mayor speaks as a person rather than as a spinning politician. People like him and his staff. This photo, from the City's web site, may have been taken by Vincent Creel, the Mayor's spokesman and all-around-great-guy.

Whatever Mayor Holloway accomplishes in his public life (his gifts are considerable), he is best known in the Casserole family for this incident: one Sunday afternoon when our LS was a small child (3-4) he announced that he wanted to go hug the Mayor. LS knew the Mayor from my attendance at City Council Meetings and from seeing Mayor Holloway around the city. I drove to Holloway's home, knocked on the door and when Mrs. Holloway answered the door, I told her of LS's request to hug the Mayor. She said the Mayor was taking a nap (how can you not like a Mayor who knows that Sunday afternoon is for snoozing?). She pointed to a sofa, the Mayor woke up, LS ran over to him and gave him a hug. Satisfied, LS was ready to leave. Mrs. Holloway laughed and thanked us for coming over.

Tell me life in a small down isn't good.

We moved one town over about ten years ago. We consider ourselves Biloxians still even though we love our current city, too.

I'm glad Paul Simon, who lives where you can't go hug the Mayor, got to meet our Mayor.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a sweet story, St. C.
Hugs all around!

Jules said...

That is, indeed, very sweet.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love that story. What a memory that man and his wife made.

Anonymous said...

I have never lived in a town where I wanted to hug the mayor. But if I did, it would be nice if it were an option.

Apostle John said...

Great story.

When I was a teenager, I could and did visit our congressman from time to time to let him know what I thought of the Vietnam War and other matters. He would always see me and give me some time.

Today -- I'm no longer taken seriously by politicians.

The mayor of Miami-Dade used to vote at our church (I have no idea where the current mayor votes). I greeted him a couple of times, but I never got a hug from him, or he from me :)

see-through faith said...

wonderful. :)