Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Entire Issue of the Apple Fritter






With apologies to PPP who says I cannot tell a "short" story.


On my way in 72 degree weather to a called meeting of presby, I stopped at the bakery near the Walmart near the Wiggins. I rationalized that I eschewed sugar and fat-filled anything so well that I could risk this faraway bakery stop.


Wrong.


I ate an apple fritter filled with so much sugar and grease that I glided into the meeting sugar-contorted.



That's it. No more junk sugar stuff for me. Makes me tired. The issues before us at the meeting were troublesome. I'd begun praying for guidance on the issue days before but woke up yesterday morning realizing that no answer surfaced. Perhaps the fellowship would help me.



We met for two hours, not a long time for us, and left with a decision which made sense to me.



During the meeting, the sanctuary was pounded by rain. The drive home, now 57 degrees, was a
deluge. Mr. C. called to caution me to drive carefully. LD called to see if I was o.k.



My new phone was set so low I missed the important call.
LS went to the university clinic to get help.
He'd been unable to keep anything down and became dehydrated.
The clinic sent him to the emergency room where they gave him liquids and watched him.



I didn't know this until I got home. I didn't know that I need to go back to University town (where we met as a presby.) to see my boy.



Word came last night that he was doing better. Poor fellow! I recall becoming dehydrated in college and feeling dreadful. One of his frat buddies is a nurse at the hospital and agreed to check on LS.


I came home and went to bed at 7:30pm. Too tired and sugared out to stay awake.



All because of my bad judgement about an apple fritter.


St. Casserole, humbled

8 comments:

Lori said...

Prayers for LS ....


and (((((((())))))) for you!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Who knew there was so much evil in a little fritter??

I hope LS is so much better today!

revmutha said...

Bless your heart. I had a similar experience when I ate a high-sugar/ high fat sweet roll before church one Sunday after strictly following a low fat/low sugar diet for 4 months--I ended up having to leave the service to yack it up (sorry, gals, for the indelicacy...)--it's amazing what these substances can do to our bodies! Hopefully you and ls are both feeling better today.

zorra said...

The first thing I saw was, of course, the picture.

As my sainted Daddy used to say, good golly Moses.

The Scientist can eat one of those with no obvious repercussions whatsoever. I'm not saying that's a good idea.

I hope both you and LS are feeling better today.

Unknown said...

Awww, poor thing! And you, too!
No wonder I couldn't reach you yesterday. You were on my mind.

more cows than people said...

thanks for inspiring me to not give into my sugar cravings that are strong tonight a month and a half into my abstinence. that picture of the fritter almost did me in, but... the story brought me back.

so sorry to hear about your son.

much love to you.

Gracebythesea said...

Good for you St C that you can actually admit to the world that you ate such a delectable, sinfully sweet and yummy treat. I am not that BRAVE. Sure I'd buy it and eat it and go to Presby. But then leave Presby early out of sheer boredom (read frustration) claiming i was 'ill from something I ate'.

Prayers fer yer lad.
XOXO

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

oh my i hope LS is doing better...

sugar? grease? no it was the 'apple' that tempted you eh? bummer...