Saturday, October 21, 2006

Sir Paul McCartney and Lady Heather Mills McCartney are in divorce proceedings.

Why didn't she know that the marriage was doomed from the beginning?

She married a much older man with oodles of money, whose first marriage lasted thirty years and whose grief over his first wife was unhealed.

If only the girlfriend read tabloids at the beauty parlor.

Tabloids contain tons of info about how NOT to make life decisions.

Big money combined with money hunger causes problems.

Long-term marriage with a devoted partner followed by marrying Miss Young and Pretty won't work.

I doubt Sir Paul listened to his adult children who could have told him that he was going to be in a Heartbreak Train Wreck of Tabloid proportions.

I guess they don't watch daytime tv, either. Or read any self-help books. Or pay attention to Gail Sheely's landmark book, Passages. See the chapter on the "save your life wife".

People don't understand that being the one exception to the rule doesn't happen.

I'm sorry for both of them. Sorry their private life is tabloid fodder. Sorry I am read this junk rather than something good for my brain.

But, reading the stupid mags at the beauty parlor keeps one educated culturally and I'm all for that.

St. Casserole

6 comments:

Jules said...

Gee, when I first started reading this, I thought it would parallel the McCartney's marriage to a young-ish pastor taking a first call at a church (with piles of money sitting in the bank) that had had the same pastor for 37 years, who "retired" from that church, but stayed active in the lives of the parishioners (so he was never "mourned") who then gets prickly when the adult children (erm...members) don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

But it wasn't about that at all, was it? (smile)

Cathy said...

Well, cheesehead's response through me for a little loop/distraction. I will try not to let it distract me too much.

It would be a no brainer to me that this would not have worked - however, we think we are the exception to the rule to all conventional wisdom. Obviously, we should let Sir Paul "ask the matriarchs" next time.

St. Casserole said...

Cheesehead, what you said and all that.

What you said is what I MEANT to say but got distracted by tabloids.

Cathy, you be the one to contact Sir Paul, ok?

Got me laughing, girls!

Unknown said...

You all three got me laughing.

Yes it is important to read those mags. I thought the same thing.

hip2b said...

Oh! I'm being "culturally educated! Yes!

Theresa Coleman said...

Ooo... I haven't read the Gail Sheehy book in AGES. I wonder where I put it?
Probably under all the magazines I borrowed from the beauty parlor.