Monday, February 26, 2007

S.A.B.B.A.T.I.C.A.L


I am on a sabbatical from my congregation. Amazing isn't it? The presbytery offered several of us "disaster zone" preachers up to eight weeks of time away. We may use the time as we wish with an educational or retreat experience somewhere in the mix.
I woke up this morning thrilled to be free of sermon writing for four Sundays. The rest of my sabbatical will come later this year. We all felt that we couldn't leave our people for two full months so we are splitting the time up.
I am to rest and do things differently. I'll travel a bit, get out my retablo making things, clean the gutters (I like this!), make stuffies and cook complicated meals. I have time!
When first approached about taking a sabbatical, I thought how rare this experience will be! Preachers in small churches don't get time away unless they are very ill or caring for an ill family member.
I have time to read, look, think, visit with friends, count clover and nap.
See the kitty? I'm that kitty.
St. Casserole

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your well-deserved respite!

Jan said...

What a blessing to have this time. Enjoy!!!

LadyBurg said...

You look like a very comfortable kitty! Enjoy your sabbatical and all the fancy cooking.

LadyBurg said...

FYI - theoontapintheburg = LadyBurg

Blogger hates me!

Sue said...

May you find rest and renewal in this sabbatical time.

Lori said...

Many happy, peaceful kitty dreams.

Cathy said...

Enjoy every single bit of time - you deserve it!

zorra said...

It sounds wonderful. Get some good rest.

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Happy cat-napping and other restful activities! What a good thing that is.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

Perhaps you could come north to Your Nation's Capitol for a visit with some of us RevGals...good shopping, good restaurants, good people.

Iris said...

I love it that there is no trace of guilt in your post. You and your congregation will be so blessed because of your time away.

David said...

WOW...what a brilliant idea!
I am SO glad for you...and a little jealous....
Perhaps I can plant a seed with our judicatory folks....
Please enjoy and rest up, you've earned it.

mid-life rookie said...

I'm so happy for you. I know this time of renewal is important and well earned. Please don't forget your blogpals. Maybe we can have a vicarious sabatical:-)

will smama said...

Nice. Very, very nice.

I will keep my eye out for you in our parking lot... but when we go out to lunch, this time I DRIVE!

will smama said...

I put something up on my blog in honor of you and your sabbatical.

Kathryn said...

3 cheers for sabbaticals. That is such good reading. Be blessed and refreshed each day.
Hugs xxx