Monday, July 02, 2007
Top Ten Things Pastors Long to Hear
Ruth A. Tucker, Left Behind in a Megachurch World (Baker), is quoted in the June 26 issue of the Christian Century magazine. Her list includes, "#4 Do you mind if I bring all the ladies in my garden club to church next Sunday?".
Heres my list:
1. Mrs. White and I want to come to your house this week and do some yardwork. Do you mind if I bring Uncle Peter who taught Norm Abrams everything Norm knows about carpentry with us? He'd love to do some fix-it projects.
2. We're concerned about all this talk about other denominations. Let's have a festival celebrating the great mission work of the P.C. (U.S.A.) Our committee wants to organize it. You just show up, ok?
3. I've scheduled the music until next March for worship services. Do you mind if we have guests from the Met Opera, Allison Kraus's people and some others as special guests? They want to come worship with us.
4. I hope you don't mind but I sent several of your sermons to John Knox Press and they say they want to publish them along with your essays.
5. I think we need to schedule new member classes more often. We've got a long backlog of people wanting to join the church. Same with baptisms.
6. I want to help you with your vestments. Could you give me a list of things you might enjoy? Could I donate liturgical pieces for the sanctuary too?
7. Your sermons make me think. Could you make your sermons longer?
8. Have you lost weight?
Readers, do you mind finishing my list?