Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Hey! I don't get many comments per post if I blog entry more than once each day.

Hep (as we say in the South) me out by shooting my blog stats to 50K.

It can be done.....

In other news:

Since I am doing nothing, I stay up late watching TV in the guest room/best clergywoman sabbatical suite. I saw a very odd woman with long curly hair preaching. She's thin with almost to the waist thin looking hair, pulled back from her face. She may be wearing a mullet, but couldn't tell. She wears a clerical tab collar, too large for her neck along with a long man's suit.
Very odd. She waved a Bible around as she spoke then took reading glasses on and off many times. It took me a bit to catch what she was saying because her outfit is so very odd. Manly but with untended long hair. Not only did she Bible wave, she waved her glasses around while flipping her hair. I doubt she took homiletics because someone would have pointed out these distractions to her.

I have no idea what she was saying but looked up her husband's website. She took over the television/church ministry when he died in '05. What's with this?

Shall I take over Mr.C's law practice if he joins the Church Invisible before I do?

I don't understand the tradition of inheriting churches although I know people do this. We mainline denomination people are suspicious of personality cult type relationships and do not pass congregations on to family members.

Her name is Pastor Scott if you want to check her out. I couldn't find a full length picture of her on the website so you may have to watch her show.

Women pastors aren't Jr. Men Pastors. Dressing like a man doesn't confer authority on us. God gives us the authority.

Otherwise, I'd dress like Attila the Hun for Presbytery.

St.

14 comments:

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

~waves~ here I am! and people are just not in a commenty mood I am thinking.

Jules said...

Hee hee...Attila the Hun.

You'd think I'd get some respect just for my Amazonian T&C stature...

But you'd be wrong.

Jody Harrington said...

LOL at Attila the Hun. What would that look like? St. Cass in leopardskin with a big shield and a helmet with cowhorns?????

That would certainly liven up presbytery.

seethroughfaith said...

laughing at the pictures you draw.

You are one amazing lady - however you dress! :)

Anonymous said...

Only other example I can think of in terms of inheriting spouse's position is in politics. Husband dies, wife gets to be governor. Weird.

We had a Korean congregation meeting in our building years ago who never got that I was a co-pastor along with my husband. They would smile at me and say things like, "It's so nice your husband lets you dress up like a minister too!"

more cows than people said...

i've been reading... sorry for a lack of comments. i'm here. (o)

and this is my fourth time trying to post this. perhaps this explains the lack of comments... though you seem to have several to me!

Unknown said...

Do you think I could inherit Pure Luck's job surveying for inappropriate radiation?

Lori said...

I think you just gave Letterman his top 10 list for tonight: 10 jobs not to bequeath!

And Attila the Hun! LOL. I immediately also thought of Brunhilda with the horned hat singing the Valkyeries. Only a man would have to wear that outfit and the two of you go to Presbytery together to speak on "New Modes of Worship". (sorry, my mind is out wandering again.)

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

I'm in the midst of exam week so I'm too fried to check in often. Some of us cranky middle-aged people had a conversation yesterday about the cult of personality in some churches and how it can lead to baddddd things (certainly true in my denomination these days).I would think inheriting one's spouse's pulpit would fall into that category. Can you imagine the survivor starting to speak like the deceased, sorta channeling lik Shirley MacLaine so the congregation thinks it's still the dead one speaking to them? Scarier things have happened!

Our Homiletics prof would smack you if you hair-flipped like that...

Cathy said...

I'm going to inherit my husband's job as a golf professional.

Right....

Lately I haven't commented much....not sure why - but you encouraged me to on your blog!

Unknown said...

A couple of comments,

Did you reach the number of comments you wanted to reach yet?

We will have to find an Attila the Hun outfit for you to wear. LOL.

I really don't want to inherit Bob's work as a Physician Assistant although I would make more money, lots more money. Let me rethink this.

I apologize for my lack of commenting and I do solemly swear to comment more.

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

If all y'all are dressing up for your next presbytery meeting in various Hun-like accoutrements, I want to be a fly on the wall ...

I actually have a few things left over from Halloween a few years ago you may borrow ... sword, shield, breastplate, helmet ...

Mary Beth said...

*Snort*

Attila! I love it!

I do not want to inherit a parking lot striping job. No sirree bob.

Mercy me, there are some WEIRD pastors on the telly. I'm writing about one at my place today, in fact. So weird that Ken and I were transfixed in horror last night as we watched.

Ann said...

St. Casserole,
The "pastor" you saw on TV was the infamous Melissa Scott. She was the third wife of the late Dr. Gene Scott (one of our local TV preacher personalities here in SoCal). Controversial in life as well as death, Gene Scott, a former AoG pastor, was known for his TV programs where he swore and smoked cigars while scribbling Bible passages on white boards in numerous ancient languages. You can read about him in Wikipedia, but the entry has been recently scrubbed of all the detrimental information about him.

Melissa's wikipedia entry has been deleted. Googling her name may direct you to the name Barbi Bridges. It was alleged that she worked under this name prior to her conversion from Catholicism. Warning: any photos related to that name would not be safe for Christian people to see.
She does not have any formal Seminary of Bible School training, but learned from/was ordained by her husband who was a Stanford PhD. She has learned many languages, the former Wikipedia for her said she knew over 20 different ones -her first language being Italian as she was born/raised there.
Before she was Mrs. Scott, she was one of the singers in their church's band (I hesitate to say "Worship Band" because I don't think they actually lead the audience in worship singing, they seem to be more like Paul Schaeffer's band on Letterman).

Anyway, I don't think she is someone that you all should/would be emulating.