Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Remembering Katrina 2007

Two years ago today, we were in Destin waiting for word about the Gulf Coast. News of the Coast was scarce because the news people couldn't get to Mississippi. We saw where Katrina's eye came ashore later in the morning. Cell phone and land line calls did not work as we tried to call our friends who stayed in their homes.

We didn't know that our hurricane preparations made no difference. Boarding up Mr. C's law firm building (an old Coast home restored and used for less than ten months) was destroyed. So many trees fell around our home that it could not be seen from the street. P. and C.'s home flooded. Our pediatrician's home flooded. Many of our neighbor's homes were flooded, broken by trees or blown away. Our sailboat ended up miles away. People died because they refused to evacuate or would not leave their pets.

Who knew anything? We didn't. Scenes of New Orleans on the news showed misery. Little did we know that the levees would break and ruin the City Care Forgot.

Little did we know that churches were demolished, roads torn up and our lives changed forever.

Regular people suffered extreme misery.

We kept close to the tv in the Destin condo.

Andy, Assumpta and Dibley ran around meowing. LD and LS tried to text message their friends. Mr. C. and I held on.

Remembering,

St. Casserole

19 comments:

Unknown said...

And out here in the blogosphere, friends you hadn't met yet prayed worriedly and waited eagerly for news of your safety and of all that followed. Thank you for letting us in to your experience, for making the unreal more real than any newscast could.
Love to you and yours on this day,
Songbird

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today St. C.
I can't imagine. . .

annie said...

I was thinking of you this morning as I saw the headlines on my home page. Things like this change people forever. May peace and strength be yours as you continue to repair and rebuild while also helping others around you do the same. That I can not imagine.

Di said...

I was thinking about you this morning, listening to NPRs reflections on the disaster.

Praying for you still.

Psalmist said...

Hugs and prayers for you, St. C.

PPB said...

(o)

zorra said...

Thinking of you and yours this morning.
(o)

Gracebythesea said...

Can't imagine what you went through Cass and all the loss and devaststation you've seen. Perhaps you can find some solace in some new friends you've made as a result. You were the unexpected gift of my trip to Miss. Thinking of you'all.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

This still hurts my heart St. C.

(((hugs)))

Jules said...

I love you.

And I'm wearing my special earrings today.

(((((St C)))))

Jody Harrington said...

I'm remembering, too. We all followed your journey with so much care and concern in the blogosphere.

It's not something you can talk about lightly or forget. Ever.

Love to you and yours.

Terminal Degree said...

(o)

Sue said...

I love you St. C.

(((St.C.))))

seethroughfaith said...

(o)

remembering ...

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

In my pre-coffee, just awake state this morning, I tuned into the Weather Channel, where they are also remembering Katrina, and thought of you ... and MCC of Greater New Orleans ... and some other folks as well.

Prayers

hip2b said...

Prayers for you and yours.

1-4 Grace said...

I kept you in thoguths and prayers durign this day. I was away fro mcomputer, but had you on mind a lot.
I was sad to see that New Orleans got so much converage again and little paid to Miss., however we all know of the pain and misery shared by N.O and M.S.
Keeping you in heart.
:)

Rev SS said...

Late to comment ... but think of you and all who are impacted and recovering from this sad chain of events.

(((o)))

Unknown said...

Honestly, I let the day slip by, I don't think I wanted to remember. So thanks for the reminder once again. Prayers for you as you continue to heal and recover, and those in your life.