Saturday, January 15, 2005

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

I haven't blogged lately because I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I received the hard cover for Christmas and am determined to finish and enjoy it because I seldom purchase (or am given) NEW hardcover books. The Christmas books I received from my LSiL are hardbacks and beautiful. I've read most of the selection by now.
The story is about the search for English magicians in the 1800's, two of whom are the title characters. The prose is like walking through molasses. Not that she doesn't write well it's just that the books is slap endless! Portions of the story move along while others are measured out slowly with too many details. She uses one of my favorite literary devices---fake footnotes. I sure would like to use fake footnotes to explain MY story.
Overall, I like the book but I read quickly and this book is going so very slowly. I think I am to page 250 by now but am not sure. No matter how long I read, I'm not finished. I'm not daunted by long books. I prefer them usually but this book must have a spell on it as I cannot seem to make any progress.

Don't tell me the ending. I'll get to the end next week.

No comments: