Monday, January 24, 2005

Psalm 57:1 New Revised Standard Version

[1] Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings
I will take refuge,until the destroying storms pass by. Psalm 57:1

The denomination sends me daily lectionary readings for morning and evening. The above verse is the first of the morning's readings. "For in you my soul" touches me with the power of God's consoling love while the "until the destroying storms..." reminds me of how realistic the Psalmist is in assessing life's troubles.
Life does have it's destroying storms whether within families, commmunities, friendships or in the larger world of politics. Taking refuge makes sense so that one can move through the storms knowing that we are not alone or friendless. As Buechner says of Jesus, he "is our fast final friend and judge". Better to have Jesus as a final friend and judge than one who does not know us or care for us.

Ah! Monday mornings........the preacher's favorite. How's it with you?

No comments: