Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Before and After -- SunHerald.com

Before and After -- SunHerald.com

If you are traveling to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, you may wish to prepare yourself by seeing these Before and After photos from our local newspaper, The Sun Herald.
I know most of these places. Java Jean's, for example, is where our preacher group gathered for coffee each week. I served on the Board of Tullis Manor. I know most of the homeowners mentioned.
On and on.

I try, I really try, not to wail about Katrina but HOT FLAMING RATS I have to see it everytime I look out my windows or go out of my driveway. Everywhere I go I see the hurricane's results. Everywhere I listen to others the hurricane is discussed,"How'd you make out?", "Where you living now?". New name for FEMA trailers: Metal Manisons.

Regards,

St. Casserole

6 comments:

Jules said...

These made me cry.

I don't know what else to say--it's so incredibly sad.

I sent the website address to my friends who are coming down next month, so they can be somewhat prepared for what they might see, and the loss that people such as yourself have suffered.

I pray for you everyday.

Kathryn said...

Oh St Cass...you don't wail half often enough, sweetheart. It is just awful and grim and all but unbearable to have to carry on living amid so much sadness and destruction, yet you do so with humour and grace and love and we all admire and love you for it.
You're in my prayers too...and I keep reminding our people that just because the international news has moved on, you aren't automatically living in a landscape restored overnight.
Hugs and prayers xx

Jody Harrington said...

We are constantly reminded here about Katrina and Rita by our local news media as Houston struggles to continue to accomodate over 50,000 evacuees.

Last week the city had to stop its housing voucher program because it's getting no reimbursements from FEMA. Made me think of Matthew: There's no room at the inn. And there isn't--apartments and hotels are still full and people are struggling.

Fie. How much harder it would be to look around and see the devastation you see and what is shown in these photos.

((((hugs))))

Anonymous said...

That's a really powerful set of images.

Unknown said...

I'm taking it in, St. C.

BayouMaMa said...

My goodness...your part of the world has been hit hard. We hear so much about New Orleans...but the devastation extends far beyond what my mind can comprehend.

BayouPaPa and I took a ride to Lakeview yesterday...we drove right up to where the levee breeched at the 17th Street Canal. No words can describe the images we saw...neither of us could barely speak...we just rode silently, as if to reverence what took place on that dreaded August day. We took pictures...not as sight-seers, but as individuals trying to make some kind of sense of this destruction...hoping to share with others so that they can feel all of the compassion we were feeling for all of those who have lost so much.

My heart and prayers go out to you and all of those close to you who are coping with these trying times.