Tuesday, December 20, 2005

John Spencer, The West Wing

I'm sorry to hear about actor John Spencer's death. Spencer played Leo McGarry on The West Wing. He played a full character of a man who as the President's best friend ran a staff of bright younger people and maintained relationships (with proper borders) with all of them.

I love to watch The West Wing because it feeds a craving for good leadership in high places.
The President, on the show, Josiah Bartlett is a former history professor who knows and understands history.

This week, I crave good leadership in high places even more.

A President who undersands history, our history, would never agree to wire-taps of citizens.
A President who knows history would realize that stepping over Constitutional boundaries is criminal, negligent and dangerous.

With all the talk of family and values, I thought we shared the value of privacy, integrity and obeying the rules. This week, I'm not sure.

I'm sorry to lose John Spencer and his complex and very human manner of dealing with leadership through Leo McGarry.

I'm sorry the entire world knows of what our President has chosen to do for over a year to us.
If the torture reports are true, we've endangered our soldiers forever when they are captured, but I'm talking here about treating our people as though we do not live in a democracy.

Not with my consent.

St. Casserole

6 comments:

Apostle John said...

I will miss Spencer as well. Great actor, and a great character.

I love the West Wing because of the reasons you share -- leadership! Sense of history. Principles!!!

Apostle John said...

By the way -- you were my 5,000th visitor! Couldn't have happened to a nicer soul.

Unknown said...

When I heard the news Friday night, I felt as if I had lost a friend, both in John Spencer and Leo. What a sad loss.
Both my boys have loved West Wing. I love to watch with them and think about a better world.

Anonymous said...

I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like West Wing (I know---heresy), but I love this post.

Anonymous said...

What does it take to get impeached in this country (besides a "date" with an intern)?

I also crave noble, visionary leadership and wonder if our members of Congress have fallen into the old thermometer instead of thermostat thing: instead of setting the temperature/vision and saying "We deserve a better country and a better leader" they seem to be reflecting the temperature saying, "My people aren't throwing fits so I won't either." My hope is in what happens in 2006 when Congress re-turns after break. Thanks for a great post on "Leo".

Jules said...

I miss him, too. He always played flawed, complicatd characters who reflected in many ways his own flawed, complicated humanity.

If only our current "leaders" could see themselves as flawed, complicated people...

sigh...